Monday, September 15, 2008

My two bits!

It’s amazing to me how much we take for granted. As stupid as this may be, but I just finished watching a show where they were honoring the life of a young man. While the show was fictional, it touched me and reminded me what was really important. This young man had reached out and had made himself an example to those around him. We never truly know how powerful we are. We will never see the influence that we have had on people. While we are told by our friends and families of our example and our worth to them, we still wonder. It’s our human nature to wonder, but we shouldn’t waste our time on wondering. As long as we have the courage to believe in ourselves, nothing else should matter. While it is wonderful that people think highly of us, like beauty, it is fleeting. I learned a few hard lessons in the last year. The first of which is that you can’t make everyone happy all at the same time. It is inevitable that someone will always be disappointed in us. It’s something that I had to learn to give up. I couldn’t try to please everyone all the time. Well, I did try, and I just about drove myself crazy!

The other lesson that I learned recently is that while they say to keep your friends close and your enemies closer, I think that you should keep you enemies far far away and you friends at arms length. Not all of your friends, but the ones that are fleeting. Your real friends, the ones that you can count on through all the good times and the bad, the ones that have seen you at your worst and instead of critiquing you on your every mistake have loved you through it all, the ones that could be counted as family, keep those ones as close as possible.

So there are my two bits for the day! Take them as you will.

No comments: