Monday, September 22, 2008

I am a Child of God

I was sitting in church yesterday dwelling on things that I probably shouldn't have been, you know, the day to day stresses of being single and trying to make it through life on my own, when we started to sing I am a Child of God. Now we sing this song a lot. We learn the words when we are very young and the melody, we learn the harmony and the decant part even! But it wasn't until I was sitting there, pondering my life, that the words really hit home with me.

"I am a child of God, and he has sent me here,
Has given me an earthly home with parents kind and dear.

I am a child of God, And so my needs are great;
Help me to understand his words before it grows too late.
I am a child of God.
Rich blessings are in store; If I but learn to do his will I’ll live with him once more.
Lead me, guide me, walk beside me, help me find the way.Teach me all that I must do to live with him someday."

It wasn't until I was wondering about how I got to where I am and how I'm supposed to move forward that I started to really listen to these words. I am a child of God. I do have parents kind and dear, and an entire family who I know would do anything that they could for me and me them!

My needs are great because I am a daughter of God, the Master of the Universe. Wouldn't you expect the child of Royalty's needs to be great? I'm striving to understand all that I can, before I run out of time, right? Do I really understand that I could run out of time? Do I take advantage of the opportunities that I have to learn from my family and my friends, from the very people that the Lord has put into my life at this time for a reason?

Rich blessings are in store! I had the privilege of attending the CES fireside at the Marriot Center in Provo a few weeks ago. Elder Jeffrey R. Holland was speaking about trials. (You can see the entire fireside here: http://lds.org/broadcast/ces/0,7341,538-1-61-1521,00.html) Near the end of the fireside (01:00:10) he said something that slapped me in the face. He said "I testify that bad days always come to an end, that faith always triumphs and that heavenly promises are always kept." WOW!!! I know that it's hard to always have the amount of faith that we think that we need, and sometimes it's easier to just give up, but where would that leave us? The Lord has made endless promises to us. Some of them apply to all of us as a whole and some have been made specifically to us as individuals. Let us all strive to do the Lord's will, so that we can live with Him again.

You are a child of God, and he has sent you here!
He has given you an earthly home with parents kind and dear.

You are a child of God, And so your needs are great;
He'll help you understand his words before it grows too late.

You are a child of God.
Rich blessings are in store; If you'll but learn to do his will you’ll live with him once more.

He'll lead you, guide you, walk beside you, He'll help you find the way. He'll teach you all that you must do to live with him someday.

No comments: