Thursday, May 27, 2010

The Story of a Journal

Last night at my ward’s Relief Society Meeting we learned how to bind books. It was great fun! Well, to be honest, at first the books and I didn’t really get along that well, but we worked it out ;) I got there late (shocker!), but the Sister that was giving the message told us about how her Mom died when she was really little and her Dad died a little over a year ago. Her Sister (or Sister-in-law, I can’t remember which) put together a book for the family comprised of her Mom’s & Dad’s journals from when they were dating and newly married. There were entries that weren’t big or over the top, just about what happened that day, how work was, the weather, how much something cost. There were also the entries about their dates and how he proposed, what she wore at the wedding dinner. Did they know how much those things would one day mean to their kids? Most likely not, but what a wonderful blessing it will be for them and for future generations. After our discussion last night I’ve decided to recommit myself to being a journaler (I know, not a real word, but you get it!). Hopefully one day my journals will mean a lot to my kids. You never know, right?

"People often use the excuse that their lives are uneventful and nobody would be interested in what they have done. But I promise you that if you will keep your journals and records, they will indeed be a source of great inspiration to your families, to your children, your grandchildren, and others, on through the generations. Each of is important to those who are near and dear to us - and as our posteriety read of our life's experiences, they, too, will come to know and love us. And in that glorious day when our families are together in the eternities, we will already be acquainted." - Spencer W. Kimball, "Presidnet Kimball Speaks Out on Personal Journals," New Era, Dec 1980, 26.
My Book :)

No comments: