Monday, June 24, 2013

Hastening the Work of Salvation--my thoughts

So yesterday all members of the Church were invited to attend a special training broadcast on missionary work. I dragged a somewhat willing friend (he became more willing when I threw in dinner following) with me. I'm so glad that I went! There was so much information in it and phrases that just make you think. If you weren't able to go, or didn't know about it, here's the link: http://www.lds.org/training/wwlt/2013/hastening/special-broadcast?lang=eng. Now don't get overwhelmed by how long it is (yes, it's 2 hours). It really is worth it and it's really very, very good! It's interesting to see how the Church is embracing technology and really pushing it's use in spreading the Gospel. 

Here are a couple of things to stood out to me:

1. L.Tom Perry: Continue friendships even if your potential investigator isn't interested. It's more important to BE Christlike and continue to have and act with unconditional love than it is to have  a baptism that month. 
2. L. Tom Perry: While speaking about bringing/returning the Priesthood into conventional family homes, I was struck with the importance of returning the Priesthood into the homes of single members through Home Teaching. Some look at this as less important (as displayed by the home teaching numbers in most single adult wards), but I promise that the single sisters in your life need the Priesthood present in their homes on a regular basis! The question that I now have to ask is, How? How do I, as a single sister, encourage the brethren in my ward to attend to this duty and to understand it's importance?
3. L. Tom Perry: Invite Non-Members/Less Actives to join you in your home to study the Book of Mormon. 
4. L. Tom Perry (he had a lot of say!): Seek inspiration and ACT out of love.
5. Neil L. Andersen: Our work begins on our knees! When preparing to be in the Lord's service (attending ward councils, presidency meetings, Sunday worship, visiting/home teaching, etc.) we should always take a moment to pray on our own to receive the inspiration that will best serve those that we seek to assist. We work with the Lord best when we have invited his communication into our discussions and actions. BUT, while our work begins on our knees, it does not end there. You have to get up and ACT!
6. Neil L. Anderson: During a video that was played missionaries were shown numerous times (it was after all a missionary training!), one of the times that I was looking at their image I was struck with the thought that while on a mission an individual has one purpose, they are focused on sharing the Gospel. I had to ask myself: "What is my ONE purpose with my life? What can I be 'laser' focused on?"
7. Neil L. Andersen: Birthday party/ Baptism invitation effect. You never know how what you do may affect someone further down the road. 
8. Sister Neill F. Marriott: The family & home need to come first. Our callings come second.
9. Elder Russel M. Nelson: Actions should be motivated by love, not by a handbook or a checklist!
10. President Boyd K. Packer: Abandon yourself and the script, and rely on the Spirit. While he was referring specifically to teaching, I think that this can be applied to all aspects of our life. He went on to encourage us to trust the Spirit and that it will be there. Then he said something of importance: "It comes when you start." The spirit will not open your mouth for you and move your tongue in the correct patterns to form words, you have to open your mouth and start talking, you have to put the effort in before he can take what you are offering and turn it into something amazing.
11. President Thomas S. Monson: When we share the gospel it will spread like wildfire. --Ha ha, makes me think of fanning the flame of your faith, but not starting an actual wildfire. :)
12. ME: The work is never done, and when we put our hearts into building relationships with those around us; not just those that attend church every week and that are in the same book club, but those that aren't showing up to Relief Society, aren't attending ward activities, aren't members of the church, the love of God will flow from us to them and they will be inspired to become closer to Him, and also closer to us, but our relationship with them is just a by-product of the relationship that we're helping them to build with our Heavenly Father.

Ok, so that's a couple more than a couple, but they are all good thoughts and hopefully you will be intrigued enough to watch it yourself and to get out there and aid in the work of salvation. (And then come back here and share your stories, I love stories!)

1 comment:

Kelli said...

Thanks for sharing Megan! Sometimes I get discouraged thinking I should be doing more, but I then reading something like this helps remind me that even though I'm not actually proselyting, I'm hopefully making a difference. :) Miss you!