Monday, September 27, 2010

What will you have left?

We’ve been hearing a lot lately about not being “silly” women. This took root in my mind yesterday when we were learning about some passages from Isaiah. Specifically we were discussing Isaiah 3:16-24 which says: 

“16 Moreover the LORD saith, Because the daughters of Zion are haughty, and walk with stretched forth necks and wanton eyes, walking and mincing as they go, and making a tinkling with their feet:



17 Therefore the Lord will smite with a scab the crown of the head of the daughters of Zion, and the LORD will discover their secret parts.


18 In that day the Lord will take away the bravery of their tinkling ornaments about their feet, and their cauls, and their round tires like the moon,


19 The chains, and the bracelets, and the mufflers,


20 The bonnets, and the ornaments of the legs, and the headbands, and the tablets, and the earrings,


21 The rings, and nose jewels,


22 The changeable suits of apparel, and the mantles, and the wimples, and the crisping pins,


23 The glasses, and the fine linen, and the hoods, and the vails.


24 And it shall come to pass, that instead of sweet smell there shall be stink; and instead of a girdle a rent; and instead of well set hair baldness; and instead of a stomacher a girding of sackcloth; and burning instead of beauty.”

There is going to come a day when we are stripped of all the worldliness and all the things that we think define us. My question to you, all my faithful readers (HA!), is this: What will you have left? What will you have made of your life? What will define you? How will people know you without your “costly apparel”, jewelry and your fancy or non-fancy car? Will you know yourself? Have you developed your character in a way that is pleasing to the Lord, in a way that he can look at you and be proud?


I can honestly say that I’m not sure what would be left of me. I don’t look in the mirror everyday with pride and recognition. Some mornings it’s more like, “what the crap?!” So what is my game plan? I don’t think that I have one, but you can bet that I’m going to find a plan. I’m pretty confident that the Lord knows the plan, and I just have to be willing to learn it. Are you?

2 comments:

Cassie said...

Wow. Thank you!!

Unknown said...

Deep Megan...Deep. Definitely thought provoking. Thanks!