Monday, July 6, 2009

Inheriting Traits


 

I don't cry very often, especially in public, but this weekend of July 4th I found myself near tears a couple of times as I listened to and participated in singing some of our Patriotic songs. I had the sudden realization Sunday morning that this is a trait I've inherited from my father. You see I've only seen my Father shed tears a handful of times in my life, while my mother on the other hand could and would cry at the drop of a hat! I remember sitting in church singing a hymn and noticing my father wiping away tears. I didn't understand than that he was being moved by the Spirit. Now that I'm older and understand the workings of the Spirit I'm always touched when I notice my Father crying, and it's usually always while a song is being sung or performed. I have a deep love for music and there are a few that move me to tears on a regular basis, but it's through the Spirit that I truly hear and feel the words of a song as a prayer of the heart. My Father is an incredible man (as a man with 5 daughters has to be!) and sharing this trait with him is something that I will always treasure!

No comments: